LLTI Archives

December 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:06:57 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lee Ramsdell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:00:32 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Lee Ramsdell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6402.3 USB Headset recommendations (!)

------------------
Hi Bruce,

The U of A has recently upgraded (Aug 2001) the CALL Lab located in the
Language Resource Centre.  Our solution for headsets is a little different
as we have a large number of MB Quart headsets. As this headset provides
excellent isolation from neighboring students, ease of
disinfecting/cleaning and/or replacement of the ear pads, and the fact that
these units seldom fail, it was decided to keep using these headsets. The
LRC has used this headset since 1985 and other than replacing ear pads;
there has been a total of 2-earphone elements fail.    However the problem
that we had is that the microphone element was not compatible as the
cartridge was a dynamic type rather than the electret type that matches
soundcards.  To resolve this problem a selection of electret cartridges
were ordered in and measurements were then conducted.  The cartridge that
best matched our sound card was determined and that particular cartridge
was then purchased. The cartridge used was a Panasonic WM-62CC, the sound
card is a SoundBlaster 128, and the headset is MB Quart K800.

Lee
At 01:56 PM 12/3/2001 EST, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---
>
>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:50:51 -0500
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: #6402.2 USB Headset recommendations
>
>Can anyone who has made recommendations for USB mic/headsets
>comment on whether the recommended models have been tried
>on PC platform as well?
>
>thanks
>bruce

Lee Ramsdell