LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:47:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Dr Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:31:22 -0500
>Subject: Re: #6397.2 Course Management Technology (!)
>From: Dr Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Colleagues,

As CALICO Software Review Editor, I've been after both the Blackboard and
WebCT developers for more than two years to provide better support for
foreign language fonts.  While dealing with non-Western scripts is
admittedly a challenging task, there really is no excuse for not providing a
virtual keyboard to facilitate the typing of accented letters. WebCT has
been telling me for some time that they will be adding such a facility to
their program, but I have yet to see it.  Blackboard appears not to take any
notice of the problem.  "What's wrong with typing in ANSI codes?" seems to
be their attitude. I would very much encourage foreign language teachers to
contact their WebCT/Blackboard representatives and make their voices heard
about the need to accommodate foreign language usage of their products.
Jack

Jack Burston, Ph.D.
CALICO Software Review Editor
College of Liberal Arts