LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:49:26 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Janis Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Janis Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6397 Course Management Technology
>Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:27:27 -0500

------------------
Carol, We have been using Blackboard this year and I am very disappointed by
the fact that it does not use Unicode in its programming.  This means that
it does not support non- roman languages in its functionality.  You can
attach a document and cut and paste in some areas of content, but on the
whole it does not support non- roman character sets.  It also means that the
chat and discussion threads (a very useful and interesting feature for
language learning) is impossible with non-roman fonts. I'm curious about
Prometheus and WebCT with this.

Janis Smith
Director, Becker Language Lab/Media Center
Reconstructionist Rabbinical College