LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:05:32 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:10:10 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6388Translation software

------------------
Let me take the bombastic line in responding.  Not only is automated
translation amusingly inconsistent, it's use in a situation mandating
that schools provide information to parents is probably criminally
negligent.  OK, maybe it would only lead to civil lawsuits.  But I
think you could pretty well guarantee that a significant amount of
critical information would be missing, incomprehensible or have its
meaning changed by the translation software.

When one of the parents discovers that their child was penalized
because they were provided with a bogus translation, the succeeding
lawsuit will absorb all the money saved on translation, many times
over.  This line of argument might get someone's attention.

Best wishes,

Derek Roff

>> From: Sandra Brookner <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Translation software

> Our local high school has asked if we know of any software that can
> translate documents from English to Spanish.  The school is now
> mandated to provide many of its documents for parents (handbooks,
> newsletters, etc) in Spanish as well as in English.  He is hoping
> for an easy, inexpensive way to follow this directive.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]