LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:05:37 EST
--- Forwarded Message from James Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

On Friday, November 9, 2001, at 08:04  AM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Sandra Brookner
>
>> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:31:21 -0500
>> From: Sandra Brookner <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Translation software
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Our local high school has asked if we know of any software that can
> translate documents from English to Spanish.  The school is now
> mandated to
> provide many of its documents for parents (handbooks, newsletters, etc)
> in
> Spanish as well as in English.  He is hoping for an easy, inexpensive
> way to
> follow this directive.
>
> We have told him we doubt there is any reliable way to do this
> electronically but I was asked to check with the list.
>
> Any thoughts?

I just read an article in yesterday's paper about translation software.
Basically at this stage of its development it is a toy. I wouldn't want
rely on it to do important things like translate documents. The results
may be humorous at best. At worst--well parents receiving information
from a school that is educating their children may not find humor in the
results. Best to get a person who knows both languages to do it.