LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:04:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Marty Dewindt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:54:47 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Marty Dewindt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6377.2 "Tell Me More" from Auralog (!)

------------------
On TELL ME MORE on the web: what internet access do you have? I wonder if
you will have speed problems that rival the tech issues you had with the
licenesed version?

Marty

At 08:09 AM 11/8/01 EST, you wrote:
> [...]
>It was very difficult to integrate the program into the curriculum. I tried
>eveyrthing to disect the program in such a fashion that they kids could see
>somehow a connection between a particular lesson and what we where otherwise
>doing in classe - to no avail.Even the various grammar issues are
sequenced in
>such a way that it seems difficult to match  them with the ones one does in
>class.
>So I designed the course to have two parts: One was TELLMEMORE, the other was
>my regular class schedule. They did like it a lot and would have gladly
>continued at their own pace only using it for listening comprehension and
>speaking purposes. As a matter of fact many students retained the most
>astonishing phrases from their work with the program.  They also liked
working
>together, as a group, with the program, so in the future I wouldn't  hesitate
>to schedule one hour per week in the LAb with a faculty member working on the
>program. The contents at times is rather ridiculous and working in a group
gave
>them a chance to laugh about it, talk about it and talk about various
cultural
>issues . But in the end the technology issues got us and the whole class
opted
>to not do the program anymore.
>As for the flexibility: You can do any unit at any time in any sequence you
>please. As a teacher you can set it in such a fashion that you 'see'
everything
>your students are doing, when, how, how many times etc. and you can grade
them
>accordinlgy. Some exercises within a unit turned out to be completely useless
>to us, others were better, but that obviously totally depends on the learner:
>age, learner type, level, goals etc.
>There are many 'little' things one can pleay with within this program.
>
>If we want to talk more about this program, please don't hesitate to call me
>(845 758 7443)
>Stephanie Kufner
>Bard College
>

>LLTI-Editor wrote:
>
>> --- Forwarded Message from Fernando Sanchez-Gutierrez <[log in to unmask]>
---

>> >Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 12:51:19 -0600
>> >To: [log in to unmask]
>> >From: Fernando Sanchez-Gutierrez <[log in to unmask]>
>> >Subject: "Tell Me More" from Auralog
>>
>> Is anybody using "Tell me More"? If you do I would appreciate any comments
>> you might have since we are considering the purchase of this software. I'm
>> especially interested in its network features as well as flexibility (does
>> it actually allow faculty to modify the content/organization of the
units?).

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Fernando Sanchez
>> Illinois State University

Marty DeWindt                           [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Director    618-374-5132
The Principia                           www.prin.edu