LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:51:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:44:17 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6364 teleste divace, Sony symphony systems

------------------
I didn't even realize lights could interfere with electronics until last
week, when I was told that the fluorescent lights were interfering with a
fairly minor function (I think remote control of a VCR from the ICM teacher
software on our Tandberg system).

However, when we installed the new Tandberg system last summer there was a
lot of discussion about potential interference between the power cords and
the computer networking wires, to which of course we were adding the audio
communication lines from the instructor computer. I'm not really sure there
is enough distance between types of wires where they run parallel in the
walls, but once they hit the booths there is more than 8" between sets of
wires, which I believe is recommended. I believe that having one group of
wires run perpendicular to the other is bad, too.

We have 30 stations in 4 rows and the sound is generally excellent, whether
the student is accessing the internet or a local file. Teachers are pleased
with the quality of recordings on speaking tests, too.  The only real sound
problem we had seemed to be due to a loose connection in the Tandberg
network, and it was easily fixed by our rep.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida