LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:26:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "John Fahey" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "John Fahey" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: WordStar Conversion
>Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:39:45 -0700

    I am trying to help a professor convert  a text from WordStar 4 to
Microsoft Word. This document contains numerous accent marks used with names
from Brazilian Portuguese and also a large number of lengthy footnotes which
are essential to the text. I have used the converter available for Microsoft
Word 2000 and it correctly converts the accent marks but it eliminates all
of the footnotes. I have tried converting with Lotus Ami Pro 97, Corel
WordPerfect 8.0, and a utility called Wordport, all of  which keep the
footnotes but do not convert the accented characters.
    I have also tried with Maclink plus which freezes when I attempt to
convert this document. I called Dataviz, the company that makes MacLink Plus
in addition to similar utilities for Windows, and was told that their
products do not convert footnotes from Wordstar. One possibility is to
manipulate the text with a newer version of Worstar which unfortunately we
do not have and is no longer available.
    Does anyone know of a solution for converting from Wordstar 4 while
retaining both accented characters and footnotes?

Thank you,
John Fahey
Liberal Arts Center for Instructional Technology,
University of Texas at El Paso