LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:07:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:34:44 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6346 accent marks

------------------
I'll be interested in this year's version of the answer to this question.

Here are some of the ASCII codes, enough for Spanish anyway--you turn on
the Num Lock and use the keypad to type the numbers while holding down an
Alt key. You should be able to find a longer list on the Web.
á = Alt + 160
ç = Alt + 135 .
Ç = Alt + 128
  é = Alt + 130
  É = Alt + 144
  ñ = Alt + 164
   Ñ = Alt + 165
  í = Alt + 161
ó = Alt + 162
  ¿ = Alt +  168
  ¡ = Alt + 173
  ú = Alt + 163

Alternatively, you can select go to Settings-Control Panel--Keyboard and
find the Language settings and select English--U.S. International keyboard,
which turns the keys with ~and `  and with " and ' into dead keys that
produce accents over vowels or, in the case of ~ over the n when it is
typed after pressing the key. ' followed by c gives ç and control+alt+/
gives the ¿ while control+alt+1 gives ¡.  The accents work in all Windows apps.

BUT-- email programs typically go through quite a few phases of processing
and accents may not survive in an email (which is why I will be interested
not only in other answers but in whether I will get this post back with the
accented letters intact). An accented letter or even an innocent apostrophe
may emerge as a string of strange characters. I remember having this
discussion on this list (I think) 5 or 6 years ago and the same accented
word, sent out by the same person, produced several different "end
products" with various jumbled interpretations.

So you may want to experiment with a particular correspondent to be sure
that the email process between you is kind to the accents.

Judy Shoaf
Language Learning Center
University of Florida