LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:05:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Dennis D. Magnuson" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:28:05 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Dennis D. Magnuson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6354 Spanish VideoLinguist

------------------
Judi,

Although the product is more oriented toward those studying Spanish
phonetics, there is a CD authored by Patricia Lunn of Mich State called
Pronunciación y fonética (v. 2.0) which has lots of good practice.
According to the product description, it is a cross-platform multimedia
program of interactive lessons to be used to teach pronunciation or by more
advanced students working on their own.  There is an overview of dialects
and phonetic concepts, basic Spanish text, ear training practice, and oral
practice.  It goes on to say that there is also "hidden" advanced info for
those wanting that.  No knowledge of linguistics is necessary to utilize
and benefit from the lessons.

It is distributed by the Instr Media Ctr, Mktg Div, Mich State U, PO Box
710, E Lansing MI 48826-0710  ph 517-353-9229  It has a 1999 copyright.

You might want to check this out as I do not know how well it might run
under the system you are using.

Dennis Magnuson
Luther College
end

>--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:54:06 -0700
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Spanish VideoLinguist
>
>Hello all,
>
>Our Spanish Department uses a CD-ROM program called "VideoLinguist"
>which was produced by a company called Cubic Media in 1993. It
>includes video and audio clips, options to slow or repeat the speech,
>view the script and/or translation, and record student responses.
>
>We are attempting to upgrade our Macs to OS9, but discovered that
>this CD will not run under System 9.
>
>Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar program that will run
>on Mac OS9 and/or Windows 2000? I'm looking into Transparent
>Language, and have looked through the CALICO review.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Judi
>--
>Judi Franz, Director
>Humanities Instructional Resource Center
>University of California, Irvine
>269 Humanities Hall  ZOT: 3775
>(949) 824-6344 / (949) 824-4500 direct
>http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc