LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:49:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:20:01 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6346.5 accent marks (!)

------------------
OK, y'all wouldn't know about this, because you are all in states
that spend about twice as much per pupil on public education as we do
in Tennessee.  Here in a land still unspoiled by full government
spending, if our students use extended ascii alt strings, they don't
remember how to spell the word. "H... if ah know...thank its guta
bucncha numbers in it. Reckon when ya spell 'em fancy word its cawled
ortho GRAFY".  All seriousness aside, what may make sense to us as a
no-fuss way to make accents, might be a problem for home folks;-)

TBob
Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html