LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:07:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Winni van Gessel" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Winni van Gessel" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6346 accent marks, a better way
>Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:52:28 -0400

The accent for the various foreign languages are made by hitting a certain
3-numbered combination while holding you ALT key.
http://sweb.uky.edu/~wvang00/sayre/accents.htm#Other software
Although this works within any software, it is a very cumbersome method.
Some teachers also use this method for word processing software.
There is no system in the order of the ALT keys and without a reference
chart it is hard to master. However, on a Macintosh computer or a PC word
processors such as WordPerfect and Word  there is a very logic strategy that
can be learned in minutes. Rather than referring to the characters below, I
suggest you check out my web page with a quick referral page and PDF
formatted handouts as reference for the students.
http://sweb.uky.edu/~wvang00/sayre/accents.htm

Sincerely,

Winni van Gessel
Sayre School
194 N. Limestone street
Lexington  KY 40517

INTERNATIONAL CHARACTERS

How to type international characters on your regular keyboard

Macintosh

1) Hold the ALT/OPTIONS key plus a certain letter.
2) Let go and type the letter that needs the accent.

´
 Alt+e
 á,é,í,ó,ú

^
 Alt+i
 â,ê,î,ô,û

`
 Alt+`
 à,è,ì,ò,ù

¨
 Alt+u
 ä,ë,ï,ö,ü

~
 Alt+n
 Ñ, ñ

,
 Alt+c
 Ç, ç

 Alt+q
 O, o

¡
 Alt+1
 ¡

¿
 Alt+shift+?
 ¿

Microsoft Word

CTRL+accent then the letter

´
 Ctrl+´
 á, é, í, ó, ú

^
 Ctrl+^
 â, ê, î, ô, û

`
 Ctrl+`
 à, è, ì, ò, ù

¨
 Ctrl+:
 ä, ë, ï, ö, ü

~
 Ctrl+~
 Ñ, ñ

 Ctrl+_then_C
 Ç, ç

 Ctrl+&_then_O
 O, o

¡
 Ctr+Alt+Shift+!
 ¡

¿
 Ctr+Alt+Shift+!
 ¿

Other software

    (Microsoft works or DOS)

Hold ALT + three letter code

The following characters are available on every keyboard by typing an
alternative code for every letter.

Hold in your ALT key while you type the three-letter code on the numeric pad
on your keyboard

               0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

120    x   y   z   {   |    }   ~     Ç  ü

130    é   â   ä   à   å   ç   ê   ë   è   ï

140    î    ì    Ä  Å  É  æ  Æ  ô   ö   ò

150    û   ù   ÿ   O  Ü  ¢   £   ¥   P   f

160    á   í    ó   ú   ñ   Ñ  ª    º    ¿   _

170    ¬   PI  pi  ¡    «   »   _   _   _   oe

example

for ¡ hold in the ALT key, type 173 on the numeric pad, then release the ALT
key.

WordPerfect

Choose Insert ... Character .

(Choose from Multinational character set)