LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:18:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from James Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 08:01  AM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Eva Dam-Jensen <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:47:55 +0200
>> From: Eva Dam-Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: video politics
>
> I would be very interested in opinions on this subject, so please don't
> run it off the list!
> Thanks, eva

Eva,
It's not so much our opinions on the subject as the laws that protect
the use of copyright materials. I'm sure the laws in Denmark are
different than in the US. Below are a couple of links to one site about
fair use in higher education.

This first link is the contents page for topics on the fair use of
copyright materials
http://www.cetus.org/fairindex.html#Contents

The second has specific information about a court case concerning the
use of video recorded programs.
http://www.cetus.org/fair5.html

I would say that if you don't have specific permission to play back in a
classroom, broadcast over a closed network, or copy a video, than doing
any of these things is illegal. That being said, I know that teachers
"illegally" use videos in the classroom all the time, which may be an
awkward situation for schools... But then again I don't see FBI agents
or lawyers for copyright holders in classrooms or investigating schools.
Don't ask don't tell.

The above in my opinion and not that of LLTI.

What are the laws like about this in Denmark?

Jim