LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:05:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:43:11 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6333 Video policies

------------------
Dave Wedaman of Brandeis asked:

>Specifically we're looking into these issues:
>
>1. Whether or not we can legally make copies of videos used for instructional
>purposes
>2. Whether we can legally supervise scheduled, but not advertised, video
>showings
>for classes
>3. Whether or not we should include entertainment-based, Hollywood-style
>movies in
>our video collection
>4. Whether we should store (temporarily or permanently) tapes that don't
>belong to
>us (personal tapes or rented tapes)
>5. Whether we can legally broadcast videos through our cable TV system

I wanted to point out that if you are buying videos from educational
sources (e.g. Films for the Humanities & Sciences, but also many other
vendors) they come with educational licenses that allow you to show them as
specified in (2), use them in a library setting, etc. They may even allow
(5), broadcast, or (1) making an extra copy, which are the most clear-cut
"illegal" procedures you describe. Sometimes you can get the rights (1) and
(2) for an extra gfee, also. If you are just setting up a video collection,
you might want to start keeping track of the permissions that come with the
videos you purchase.

This does not of course solve the problem of whether you can show a rented
Hollywood movie to a class on a schedule...

Judy Shoaf