LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:16:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6305 Scola or Dish TV?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello,
A lot of this depends on which satellite service you
plan to use.  One of the potential problems you may
have is that the satellite setup you configure your
system for may be changed by the provider somewhere
later down the line.  I can give you a Dish Network
example from a couple of years ago.  Originally, most
of the foreign language programming was available on a
single satellite, which meant the installation of a
single dish system.  This didn't last long, and when
Dish Network moved some of the channels to a second
satellite, about half of the foreign language
programming was no longer available to those folks
who'd had their system designed and configured based
on the single dish model.

A second thing to consider is that some satellite
services don't have an "education" customer profile -
just corporate (i.e. big hotels, etc) and individual.
You may find it difficult to set up billing in the way
your institution requires if this is the case.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a dish system - just
be careful!

Best,
Samantha

Samantha Earp
Editor-In-Chief, IALL Journal
Director, Foreign Language Technology Services
Duke University
919.660.5945