LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:14:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 14:46:41 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6315.4 Copying Audio Cassettes (!)

------------------
I will add to my post on the subject that Karl is right about not handing
out the whole set, or even more than a couple of tapes, at one time.
Some publishers are explicit about not allowing students to take home more
than 2 lessons or 2 tapes and ask that one use the "marked cassette"  system.
But even when you are copying under a liberal license, it is not hard to
educate faculty and students to the idea that students neither need nor
want all the tapes at the same time. Especially in an elementary course,
the learning students do with the lab tapes is cumulative. They don't need
to "go back and listen again" to the first tape, because the first tape
will be much too slow and  simple by the time they have listened to the
third tape.
We use an exchange system--once the student has a cassette with our label
on it, he or she can trade it for the next chapter. We discourage students
from taking more than a couple of tapes at a time. This was in fact one of
the subjects that got me started doing student orientations (to return to
an earlier thread!).

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida