LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:23:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:34:17 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6305.8 Scola or Dish TV? (!)
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------

Dear Dr. Charters & LLTI.

We are currently looking into the 4dtv system.

It is a digital receiver for the big C/Ku dishes.

There is lots of free programming, and individual susbscriptions to the
scrambled stations (TV-5, International Channel, etc) are available.

The web site is http://www.4dtv.com if you want to learn more.

Best,
Karl Fisher
University of the South
Sewanee, TN

>------------------
>13 years ago we had a very nice Orbitron 12' C/Ku moveable mesh dish
>installed, and with one major and a couple of minor service needs, it works
>just fine.  However, the encoded channels/digital reception is the issue.
>I don't know of any "free" language programming any more (please tell us if
>you do).  The last ones we saw were CNN and NBC channels in Spanish.  NBC I
>believe discontinued their service and CBS were supposed to begin one, but
>virtually all useful channels are encrypted now.  Since these are provided
>primarily for cable services and local TV networks, we didn't get anywhere
>trying for individual subscriptions directly.  We know we shall need to get
>into adding a small 18" dish for most of the services we are looking at,
>although we do get the International Channel on the old dish (but with a
>dedicated receiver/decoder added to our original one).
>
>>Thanks for the info.
>>This topic is timely for me as well. In all this discussion, I begin to
>>wonder if the old C/Ku stand alone solution isn't considered efficient or
>>effective anymore. Has it become outmoded w/ the advent of the Dish TV
>>system, or is it still a viable solution? I know that encoded
>>channels/digital reception is an issue, but has it become a
>>serious cost problem w/ the stand-alone C/Ku dish?
>>Thanks,
>>Ed "Manager's Decision" Dente
>> ("Inside joke", Boston area.)
>
>Dr. Duncan Charters
>Professor, Language Department
>Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028-9799
>Telephone: (618) 374-5252    Fax: (618) 374-5465
>E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>

Karl W. Fisher
Director, Language Laboratory
735 University Avenue