LLTI Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:23:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:07:29 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6315 Copying Audio Cassettes
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Dear John,

The usual procedure is to request a copyright permission letter from the
publisher. In this case, contact your McGraw-Hill representative.

You may also want to establish guidelines for your own protection: We used
to (at my last job) limit students to two cassettes at a time. Students
brought back the same tapes and had the new lessons recorded over the old
ones. Thus, they were not able to acquire a whole set of tapes for free.
Furthermore, if you permit wholesale copying, you will have huge stacks of
work orders for complete tape sets at the beginning of each semester: It's
much better to space this work out over the semester.

We also insisted that students purchase the blank cassettes from us, to
avoid the problems of poor-quality or high-bias tapes (neither are
recommended for high-speed duplication.)

My current strategy (and work in progress) is to put the lab tapes on a
password protected server as QuickTime movies. That way, students unable to
attend the lab at during open hours can complete their work over the
internet.

Best,
Karl Fisher
Univerisity of the South
Sewanee, TN

>------------------
>Recently, I was asked a question about copying cassette tapes for students
>who could not make it to the Media Center.  In the text, Puntos De Partida,
>it states:
>Cassette tapes are free to adopting institutions and are also available for
>student purchase upon request.
>So, does this mean that I can copy the tapes?  As a new lab director, I
>would appreciate any assistance.  Thanks, John Esposito.
>
>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>John M. Esposito
>Director, Modern Languages Media Center
>Department of Modern Languages
>The College of Staten Island, CUNY