LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:17:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jo:rg Waltje" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:58:29 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Jo:rg Waltje" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6296 Lab User Orientations

------------------
Hi Rachida:

We made our own intro-tape/mpeg-clip.  The first version was rather crude,
shot with a handheld cam by our lab-assistants, but it contained the
essence about using the audio lab, how to punch in (for time), etc.  I then
had a student produce a nicer version using Avid Cinema, some background
music, voiceover.  He was in telecommunications, and he never quite
finished the job, I would have loved to have a complete lab tour.  In any
case, I used the Quicktime file made with Avid Cinema to convert it into an
.mpeg via Cleaner 5, which now sits on our video server and gives a quick
intro whenever people need it.  If you do not have a server, it could be on
the harddrive.  I wanted to attach the clip for your information, but it is
25 MB, and it would probably kill your mailbox. I can send it to you via
ftp if you give me an address. It is not "professional"  but of decent
quality and very functional, and it did not cost $ 25,000.

Find a student who is interested in video, you can get editing software for
cheap, use Apple's iMovie or a variety of other programs for free, and
Cleaner costs $ 299 in the educational version.  Voila, there you are!  You
only have to find somone who is willing to spend a few hours on shooting
and editing the clip.

Hope that helps. Regards,                       Jörg Waltje

Dr. Jorg Waltje
Director LRC
Ohio University
Gordy Hall 17 D