LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:59:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:20:20 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6293.4 Voice Recording WAV files (!)

------------------
Indeed, this looks like a nifty program, and quite easy to use.  I was particularly interested in being able to export recordings directly to MP3 instead of WAV.

The default setting in Audacity is to record in mono.  The WAV file exports sound great.  The MP3 file exported was weird, to say the least.  I fiddled some and found that if you change the default to record in stereo, the MP3 export sounds wonderful.

The file sizes for a 9 second recording of my voice were:
Stereo MP3:  150K
Stereo WAV: 1,643K
Mono WAV:  822K

So even exporting in stereo, the MP3 format can save considerable disk space (or bandwidth if you're emailing the resulting files).

Thanks, Claire, for pointing us to this program...

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison
(608) 262-1408

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/26/01 07:18AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Claire Bradin Siskin <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:38:40 -0400
>From: Claire Bradin Siskin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6293.1 Voice Recording WAV files (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I recommend Audacity, a free, cross-platform, open-source audio
editor. It works on Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000, Mac 9 (X in the
future), Linux, and something called FreeBSD.  Audacity is still in
beta, but I have used it on both Windows 98 and Mac OS 9 with no
problems.

Audacity can be downloaded here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Regards, Claire
--