LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:18:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:03:29 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6296 Lab User Orientations (!)

------------------
I'm with Ed;

<snip>

>  I'd
>suggest holding on to the old, low-tech, inefficient way for a while
>longer, and, instead of staff doing it, do it yourself as director. I know
>it may seem like a bit of misuse of resources, but there is nothing like
>personalizing the center for a student. It puts a face and a name on
>the center for the
>student, it allows you as director to see each student who will use the
>lab and lets them see you.

<snip>

Have you ever called some service provider, been asked to enter your
phone number with area code, and then spent the next fifteen minutes
punching in numbers to move through a labyrinthine series of menus,
only to be told that there will be a ten-minute wait to talk to a
representative? Makes you want to bang the phone against the wall,
doesn't it? There are strong indications that the overwhelming amount
of technology in our lives contributes to feelings of isolation,
frustration and even disorientation (no pun intended). I think it
would be wise for those of us who use and promote technology to hold
on to that human factor. There's something very comforting about a
real smile on a real face. Moreover, a live presenter can gauge
whether the message is getting through and adjust for various groups.
Lastly, unless the video or computerized orientation package is
REALLY engaging, the "eyes glaze over" factor kicks in pretty
quickly, an not that much of the message is getting through anyway.

Ursula

Oh, yes, and I like to think that when I say "our computers" or "our
brand-new furniture" a subtle connection is made to me, and hardly
anyone would want to hurt my feelings by doodling on the furniture or
trashing the computer.

--

Ursula Williams
Director