LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:18:51 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:14:22 -0400
>From: Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6296 Lab User Orientations

We used to utilize video to create orientation sessions that students could
watch if they'd missed the one scheduled for their class.   But whenever there
was a change in equipment or materials, the video had to be edited or remade.
Also, the staff had to supplement the video with a detailed explanation of how
the student's assignments differed from the norm.  Several years ago we
replaced video technology with PowerPoint.

Now we utilize PowerPoint when we give the orientation, as a way to inject
humor (?) and to better illustrate all those things we want the students to
learn to do.  We can easily change a few slides to reflect small changes in
textbooks, media, equipment, and our services.  We use the custom show feature
to tailor the presentation for each group.  The show is then ready for everyone
who missed the class session to use as a tutorial, on his own time.  Since we
have not created a separate file for each group, we start the custom show that
the student needs to use. That takes seconds, as compared to the 20-35 min it
takes to give some of the orientation sessions.

Using a digital camera, or inserting video clips, you can show your students
anything you want them to see.  You could add a narration, or do it all with
text.  Instead of creating one big presentation and using custom shows for each
group, you could prepare a separate presentation for each class or group.  Then
set each to run as a show.  Your staff might enjoy helping to prepare the
presentation....some of my student managers seem to enjoy creating
presentations for the training and orientation sessions they give to the
student workers.   Best of all, it costs only your time.