LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:18:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
"Primov, Rachida S" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We would like to prepare video or audio material which can be accessed
> individually in used as a tutorial for how to use the Lab services.  We are
> considering creating a video, an mp3 or MPEG file, or any other medium.
>
> I have received a quote from Tegrity for a Tegrity WebLearner Platform for
> $24,800.  This is completely beyond my budget.
>
> Can any of you suggest alternative or sources for creating Lab User
> Orientation Modules?

We created two computer language lab orientation videos that all of our
new students watch during orientation week. They are also given
worksheets to complete in pairs. At the end of the session, about 15
minutes is spent discussing the answers and demonstrating some points;
otherwise, the orientation sessions run on autopilot as the students
watch and control the videos individually on the computers. We can give
orientations to more people, cover more topics in depth with examples,
and use fewer lab staff members in the process than our old method of
giving stand-up orientations with a projector.

Both videos have the same video track; only the audio tracks differ. The
beginner-level video has simplified language, includes fewer details,
and is spoken more slowly and clearly. The videos consists of over 100
stills (screen shots), titles, and short video segments and are about 13
minutes long. Apple iMovie 2 was used for editing and the final product
encoded as MPEG with Roxio Toast's iMovie export plug-in.

Other advantages of this approach include being able to require all
students, whether their core teachers teach in the labs or not, to
attend an orientation, and making the video available on every teacher's
lab setup for any student to use or reuse at any time, including late
placement students.

Cheers,

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957  fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/