LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:17:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from William N Hug <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: William N Hug <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'LLTI-Editor '" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6296 Lab User Orientations
>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:41:39 -0400

Hi,

When I was Language Lab Instructor at our college, I started a project that
I think could work.  I hope at the very least it can generate some ideas for
you.

Basically, I wanted to create a web page or cd-rom that showed all the
processes of using the lab. Alternatively, or as a supplement, this
information could be captured in manual form.

1.  Use a camcorder to record a student's or instructor's perspective of
using the lab (camera person should attempt to capture exactly what person
sees).

This could include approaching the lab, or a particular computer, or section
of the lab.

Try to capture closeups of keys to punch, then pause, then show hand/finger
operating this key/knob/switch.

Try to make the video as self-explanatory as possible, needing little
voiceover or accompanying text.

Having someone with videomaking experience helps, I think.

Low tech solutions could include using a still camera or drawings to
illustrate these same steps.

2.  Log the tape.

Capture what did we do on the tape, what are the voice or written
instructions that would go along with this?

This step could follow the next one, and could be done on word processor,
which can help when devising any material to accompany the images.

3.  Capture the images onto the computer using video capture software.

If the tape is logged, you can label each segment to correspond with the
actions (e.g. turning on the computer, launching the program, getting ready
to listen).

4.  Compile the manual.

Use a word processor or other software to write up a written manual,
inserting captured images (scanned pictures or artwork, downloaded or
captured stills from video or cameras).

Use a word processor or web building software program to create a
hyperlinked manual, so that users can access the areas they need to learn
via the links in the table of contents (and each area would have a link back
to the table of contents, and to the next section).

Macromedia makes Courseware and Authorware, which can help set these
tutorials up in an elegant way.

In addition to or instead of addressing the problem with a self-paced
tutorial, maybe the first week of classes would be a marathon training
session for all new students to use the lab.  Why can't labs hire trainers
and use returning students to help new students get up to speed using the
equipment?  Students could sign up for an hour or two hour class once that
week, if lots of slots could be made available.

Since not all students would need this instruction, the lab could accomodate
fewer students, in smaller class sizes, for more effective, quicker
instruction.  It would require extra time by lab staff, though!

If you need clarification on any of these ideas, please let me know.

Peace,

Will Hug
Instructor