LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:11:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:05:05 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: looking for "Mutter Courage"

Here's an interesting one: It seems possible that the Goethe Institut
owns the film version (well, PAL VHS) of the 1949 presentation in
Berlin of Bert Brecht's "Mutter Courage,"  the one with Lotte Lenya.
I had a request from a faculty member, who had managed with some
finagling to borrow a copy from the Institut, despite the label's
indication prohibiting that, and who wanted me to make a converted
copy. I didn't make it, but it seems that the film can't be had
anywhere else. The label on the tape indicates that it is to be used
solely for instruction at the Institut.

I have two questions: Is anyone familiar with this situation who
perhaps has resolved it somehow, and does anyone have a VHS of this
film that could be borrowed, perhaps for a semester? Even though I
could provide the converter so that this copy could be used, it has
to go back soon, and we're not sure we could borrow it again.

Thanks.

--

Ursula Williams
Director