LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:10:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:32:27 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6279 AV Hardware security

------------------
Funny you should ask <grin>.  We just did this last week.  I too looked all over for something and couldn't find anything (except in stores that had cabled down their palm pilots!)  Every option we considered seemed relatively expensive.

In desperation I headed to the local Ace Hardware store to see if we could jury-rig something.  At the suggestion of my local hardware guy, I purchased several feet of very thin aircraft cable, and the little compression clamps to make loops at each end.  Then, with wirecutters we cut 4-foot lengths.  We then opened up the battery compartment of the remote and removed one screw, drilled a hole straight through (the battery cover too), looped the cable through the hole and clamped it in a loop.  We made the hole in the battery cover large (enlongated) enough so we can still slide the cover off and not lose the cover.  Finally, we drilled a hole through the edge of the blackboards (aluminum frame) and looped the other end of the cable through and clamped it down.  We made sure the cable was just short enough so the remote wouldn't hit the ground when dropped (notice I didn't say "if" dropped <g>).

So far so good.  While anyone with wirecutters can probably remove these, we don't think they will.  This is really to prevent the absent-minded  from walking off with them after class.

Oh, I didn't tell you the best part.  The total cost for cabling 12 remotes (about 60 ft of cable and about 35 clamps... a bit extra for later) was only about $12.

Now, if the students ever figure out that these are a source of free AA batteries, we'll probably epoxy the batteries in <just kidding!>

Hope this is helpful...

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison

Immediate Past-President
International Association for Language
Learning Technology (IALL)

(608) 262-1408

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/12/01 06:55AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Ray Rojas <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:37:02 -0700
>Subject: AV Hardware security
>From: Ray Rojas <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,

We here at UCLA are finally upgrading our lab with universal remotes
connected to rack-mounted VCRs, LD and DVD players.  In each of the viewing
rooms there will be an infrared eye and a remote control.  The question is:
What is the best way to secure those remote controls?  The best idea so far
is some sort of cable (like a notebook computer security cable) connected to
the monitor and remote with a sort of coiled cable in between.  Something
similar to those used in stores to secure their display items.  But, I'm
having trouble locating something like this.  Does anyone know where I could
find such a device, or another that might be better?

Thanks in advance,

Ray Rojas
UCLA Media Lab
270 Powell Library