LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:10:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Philippe Delcloque <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Philippe Delcloque <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: InSTIL 2002 Symposium - March 25/26th 2002 - San Diego - Deadline for submissions:  31/10/01
>Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:26:40 +0100

------------------
Would you be kind enough to circulate this announcement to the list, please.
Many thanks.

Philippe

Apologies for cross posting.  This event relates to Speech Technology in
Language Learning

InSTIL 2002 Symposium
See http://dbs.tay.ac.uk/instil

Speech Technology in the Learning and Assistive Interface

San Diego State University
Advance Notice, Preliminary Registration and Call for Papers

InSTIL is a Special Interest Group of CALICO, EUROCALL and ISCA
and an affiliate of IALLT

InSTIL 2002 Symposium

The second bi-ennial symposium of InSTIL will take place in the beautiful
Californian city of San Diego in a university with an international
reputation in Computer Assisted Language Learning.

The theme of the Symposium

Building on the original theme of InSTIL 2000, the Symposium acknowledges
the obvious, namely that many advances in the integration of ST in CALL have
been driven by concerns outside CALL.  The theme is also sufficiently broad
to cover all the areas of interest of InSTIL members, in other words speech
recognition, synthesis, analysis, manipulation, visualization, animation,
talking heads, etc.... Work related to any area of Speech Therapy which
impacts on Education and Learning is also welcome.  Informal enquiries may
be made at the point of sending an abstract.
We intend the symposium to be an interdisciplinary meeting point for
researchers and practitioners.  Contributions relating to basic research,
method development, system design and evaluation are welcome.

Format of the event

This will be a full symposium open to presenters or simply members of the
CALL or Speech Community not yet actively involved in the field.  As in
Dundee, we will run one day Training Seminars in parrallel.  Each thematic
session will be introduced by a tutorial presentation by an invited expert.
All papers will be presented in plenary sessions with time for demonstration
and discussion. Other contributions will be presented in poster sessions
followed by a plenary discussion.
A small exhibition is planned both for commercial systems and research
prototypes.
The Symposium will also see the first presentation on American soil of the
poster exhibition entitled "An Illustrated History of Speech Technology in
Language Learning".

Proceedings

The Symposium Contributions and, where possible Courseware Demos, will be
published in a CD-ROM which will be available to participants at the time of
the Symposium.  Subsequently, revised contributions will be published in an
edited volume or in the InSTIL Journal.

The Venue

InSTIL 2000 will happen at San Diego State University.

Registration Fees

The fee for the Symposium, including CD-ROM proceedings for the two full
days, Monday 25th and Tuesday 26th March 2002 is 150 US dollars Early Bird.

These rates apply for registrations before 31/1/2002. Late registrants will
be charged an additional 25 US dollars ($175).

Important dates

31/10/01        Preliminary registration and deadline for submission of
title and abstract.  PLEASE SEND YOUR 200 TO 400 ABSTRACT TO
[log in to unmask]  Figures and pictures  should be sent as separate
attachments.
30/11/01        Notification of acceptance, instructions for authors will be
sent before December 7th.
31/1/2002       Deadline for early registration and for sending 4 pages of
A4 contribution.
25-26/3/02      Symposium

InSTIL

InSTIL is a non-profit association and all net proceeds will be used to
assist the activities of the SIG for the benefit of the research community.

International Scientific Committee

Monique Adriaen Nick Campbell           Michael Cohen   Ronald Cole
Philippe Delcloque      Rodolfo Delmonte        Kathleen Egan   Aline
Germain-Rutherford
Goh Kawai       Eric Keller                     Ton Koet
Steve Larocca
Mary-Ann Lyman-Hager    Philippe Martin         Dominic Massaro
Brigitte Zellner-Keller

Organizing Committee

Philippe Delcloque
Mary-Ann Lyman-Hager

Payment

Payment can be made either by credit card, by bank transfer to or by cheque
in dollars.  This will be dealt with from November 2001.
Early payment is encouraged to take the early bird rate. Participation can
be guaranteed only after payment is received.

Please do not hesitate to request more information, but reply to
[log in to unmask] rather than Philippe's address at UAD which will soon
cease.  This announcement will be placed on the InSTIL web site on 15/9/01.
The InSTIL web site will soon migrate to http://www.instil.org/