LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:37:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mark Peterson <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Fri, 31 Aug 2001 04:36:53 -0400
>From: Mark Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      language learning in a virtual environment?
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: Mark Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

This idea may not be as unrealistic as it sounds.  Interesting options for
development include the newer web-based MOOs that utilise the enCore
authoring environment(which is freeware)see:
http://lingua.utdallas.edu/encore/home.html
Other interesting approaches include immersive 3D virtual worlds such as
Active Worlds:
http://www.active worlds.com
and Community Palace by Sony
http://www.rche.kyushu-u.ac.jp/index-j.html
I've explored these environments with small groups of students here at
Waseda and the feedback has been positive.  We're now thinking of ways in
which we can utilize this technology to support language learning...
Regards
Mark Peterson
Research Fellow
Waseda University