LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:37:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jeff La Favre <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:21:55 -0400
>From: Jeff La Favre <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6264 Win 2K config for Guest: writing profiles?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Win 2K comes with a default guest account.  If this is the account you are
attempting to configure, I would suggest that you create an account with
another name to be used as the generic log in.  Try this and see if it
works.  You can lock the user out of various functions by using the W2K
policy editor (gpedit.msc) but be careful because a local policy will
apply to the administrator as well.  If you have a technical person who
knows how to safely edit the registry, you can bring back functions to the
administrator after applying a group policy.  The policy editor for NT4
also works with Win2K (POLEDIT.exe).  The nice thing about this editor is
that you can apply a local policy for a specific user (log on as that user
and run the editor).  I have found that I can create a Win2K machine with
very tight security, but functioning programs, by using both editors
together.

Jeffrey La Favre
John Carroll University