LLTI Archives

August 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:11:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Ted Bell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: 27 Aug 2001 09:36:23 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Ted Bell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: language learning in a virtual environment

Dear LLTI members,

I am a cognitive scientist interested in developing software for language acquisition.  I am particularly interested in approaches that focus on developing spoken fluency and listening skills.  Currently available software for language learning is typically sets of textbook style exercises combined with multimedia video.   While this is an improvement over text-only approaches, I think that an approach similar to real-world immersion would be more effective for developing spoken fluency.  I would like to develop software that uses a context-based immersion approach to language learning.  I have been working on plans for a virtual language-learning environment furnished with objects, places and people to interact with.   I have been trading ideas with linguists, language teachers and students about the details and implementation as well as applying ideas from the field of learning and memory.

I want to develop a virtual environment and provide a library of lessons or tasks in the environment for learners to work through.   The tasks learners will face will range from simple object manipulations and navigation through the environment, to complicated problem solving, and interactive conversations with electronic characters or other human users of the environment.  Traditional grammar lessons and multimedia can of course be incorporated, but the tasks will emphasize using language to solve problems in context.

The virtual environment that I envision can be used in a variety of ways.  First, it can be used by a solitary learner.  Second, if networked, the environment can be used as a platform for real tutors and learners to meet and have lessons in a shared context.  Currently available online tutoring is a bit like learning language by mail or by telephone.  There is no shared context except that created by the conversants.  Third, the environment can be incorporated into a language course and used in a network form or by individual students.  Ideally the environment will be easily modifiable and adaptable for a variety of lessons and courses and individual teachers can tailor the lessons to their own students or create their own lessons..

If anyone is interested in helping to develop this idea or would just like to discuss it further, I can be reached at 541-686-6787 or by email:  [log in to unmask]  I'm currently looking for a home for this project.  I have had little luck approaching software companies with the idea, as the educational software market is quite slow.  I'm now looking for academics or others who would like to collaborate.   I'd love to see it developed as a non-profit educational tool, but I'm not averse to developing it commercially.

Theodore Bell

http://www.shopping.altavista.com