LLTI Archives

August 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:28:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Melinda Gregory" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Melinda Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: television as monitor for computer
>Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:42:50 -0500

I tried to search the archives several times for help on this question, but never found any information close to what I needed....so I thought I'd take my first stab at asking you guys for help since I joined the list a year ago.

In our lab, we have a regular PC that is hooked up through the Sony console to a TV.  The TV is the monitor for a video presentation stand, a VCR, LDP, and the computer.  Since I'm not the person who set up all of this equipment, I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind all this.  I suppose to have a bigger screen so that everything could be projected to the entire class.

The problem is that the computer graphics do not show up well on the TV monitor.  I think this has something to do with the video card, but I don't know enough about these sorts of things to know whether this is the case.  Do any of you have any suggestions for improving the computer-to-TV graphics?  When using the DVD-ROM of the computer to play a movie, everything seems to look good--except for the subtitles, which are a little small and blurry.

I would appreciate any suggestions, or at least a point in the direction of a website or other resource which might help.  (I've asked for help a couple of times from some of the university computer people, but no one's helped me yet.  I thought I'd try once more to find info on my own before belting a war cry toward their offices  ;-p.)

Thanks in advance.

Melinda Gregory
Language Lab Manager
Oral Roberts University