LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:32:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:21:25 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>,        "Peter A. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6236 What's so special about CCD digital camcorders?

I think there is a misunderstanding of the terminology here.  CCD is
an abreviation for the term "Charge-Coupled Device."  CCD describes
the kind of electronics used in one part of the camcorder.  These
days, almost every camcorder on the market uses CCD technology.
Saying "CCD camcorder" is similar to saying "transistor radio"- there
are other kinds, but you don't see them very often.  At one time,
portable camcorders used things like "vidicon tubes" for capturing
the image.  Later, the change to CCD was a big deal.  Now CCD is the
norm.

Cameras costing above $2000 might have three separate CCD chips, one
for each color.  These can give a higher quality image than the
one-CCD-chip cameras, which mostly sell for less than $2000.  More
expensive cameras tend to have better lenses and microphones, too.
However, one-chip DV camcorders give an image vastly superior to the
VHS that we have been using for years.

There is lots more confusing terminology to deal with in video.  DV
is a digital video encoding format.  Mini-DV is a tape format, used
by most digital camcorders in my price range.  My Sony TRV-10 records
a DV format signal on Mini-DV tape.  However, the same kind of DV
signal is recorded on my hard disk, when I edit in iMovie, Premiere
or Final Cut Pro.  Other cameras record a DV format/encoded signal to
Digital-8 tape cassettes, DV-Cam tapes or DV-Pro tapes.  These tape
formats have some differences, but once you get it into the computer,
all the video information is the same.

A one-chip camcorder which uses mini-DV tape can be purchased for
significantly less than $1000.  Like many others, we have used these
camcorders to produce web and computer-based learning materials.  We
have also put them in the students hands, using video production and
editing as a vehicle for language learning and practice.  Most
students get very inspired by this option.  I recommend it.  I do
lust for a three-chip Sony PD-150 camcorder (>$3000), but it isn't
necessary to produce quality video.

Derek

>> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:40:15 -0500
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> From: "Peter A. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: What's so special about CCD digital camcorders?
>
> Dear Colleagues:
>
> One of my language colleagues has expressed an interest to purchase
> a  digital camcorder that allows him to work with CCD's.
[snip]
> The cost of a CCD  digital camcorder is higher than most,
> between $2000 to $4000.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]