LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:48:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Peter A. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:40:15 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Peter A. Schultz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What's so special about CCD digital camcorders?

------------------
24. July 2001

Dear Colleagues:

One of my language colleagues has expressed an interest to purchase a
digital camcorder that allows him to work with CCD's. Not familiar with
CCD's myself, I went on-line to an astronomy Website, and I found the
following information:

"A CCD is an array of photosites (pixels) on a silicon substrate. The
pixels are arranged in rows and
columns. Light falling on the CCD is recorded as an electrical signal by
converting the photons to electrons. The sensitivity of a CCD is ten times
faster than the fastest films and is linear in response (which films are not)."
Source: http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/online.htm

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with such digital
camcorders and if you might provide some insight into the advantages and
disadvantages of the cameras. One thing that is certain. The cost of a CCD
digital camcorder is higher than most, between $2000 to $4000.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have regarding this.

Sincerely,

Peter Schultz

_________________________________

Peter A. Schultz
Language Technology Consultant
Rice University, Houston, TX 77005
Fondren Library 626
(713) 348-6183  Fax:  (713) 348-5844
email: [log in to unmask]
Homepage:  http://lang.rice.edu/schultz/index.html

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
-- William Shakespeare (Hamlet, Act 1, scene 3)