LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:48:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from FCFLRC Tech Support <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:53:25 -0400 (EDT)
>From: FCFLRC Tech Support <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Videolink Pro on the Mac
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>

Has anybody out there had experience using Videolink Pro software
for videoconferencing between
two Macs (right now we are using iMacs, but are concerned about all Macs)?
We have been testing it between two Macs on our campus network and are
finding that we frequently get
only audio with no video, but not all the time. Sometimes we have video
both ways, sometimes only one party receives video, sometimes neither
party. Audio usually works (although quality isn't outstanding).  Has
anyone encountered this or know of a fix?

We've been speculating that perhaps the codec only sends audio if it can't
initially find enough bandwidth, but we haven't been able to find any
documentation.  We seem to have more trouble starting around noon and
later, but on the other hand it is also summer so in general we should
have plenty of bandwidth available.

Any ideas?

Amy Wordelman
Five College Foreign Language Resource Center
Amherst, MA