LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:18:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Gary Dauphin <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:44:57 -0500
>From: Gary Dauphin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6237 Quick Question on DVD on Mac Powerbook

------------------
The DVD region code "copyright protection" has been implemented by the
Motion Picture Association of America (and other bodies), and built into
all currently legally manufactured DVD computer drives.  Apple includes
these drives in our computers, but we do not build them, so we have no
say so over whether or not this "protection" gets built into the drives.

Technically, there is no official way to get around this - if you change
Regions too many times, the drives will "stick" to the last region used,
and you will only be able to play DVDs from that region.

However, users have reported various solutions, which are not
recommendations from Apple Computer, Inc., and we do not support the
second two:

1) Only play region-free (Region 0) DVDs.

2) There are some hacks floating around the internet that allow you to
get around the region codes.  No, I do not have them to send, Apple does
not officially support them, but I am told that they are out there and
they may work.  We do not encourage you to violate any copyright laws.

3) Some users have reported that removing the DVD Region Manager
extension from their system folder has stopped this from happening.  No,
this is not officially supported by Apple, and no it does not work on
all machines. We do not encourage you to violate any copyright laws.

I wish I had a better answer, but the decision was not ours to make.

Gary Dauphin
Account Executive, Higher Education
Apple Computer, Inc.

Office: 985.785.7929
Cell/Voicemail: 504.400.1490
Fax: (978) 945 7994

"Education is not about filling a pail, but igniting a spark" -- W B Yeats