LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:19:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:37:25 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6222 Seeking slide scanner recommendations

Here are comments from my colleague in the Visual Resources
Collection at UC Irvine:
Hi Judi,

Here's my two cents for you to share with your colleagues, if you
think it might be useful.

Out-sourcing is still the cheapest way to get a large number of
images digitized. I would recommend having the 35mm slides scanned
onto Kodak Photo CDs because with this format you obtain 5 different
resolutions which can be used for a variety of purposes. If you don't
need the high resolution images today, you probably will tomorrow. In
a recent query to a Los Angeles vendor, we asked how much it would
cost for 300 slides to be put on Kodak Photo CD and they quoted us
$250. Anywhere around $1 a slide is a good deal. You can't do it
yourself for that price, even if you have already sunk the money into
a c. $3,000 slide scanner. When you get the CD back, you still have
to work with the images in Photoshop to clean them up and have a
variety of storage issues to deal with. All of this is very time
consuming and factoring in labor costs is crucial. To search for
photo CD vendors (by region, state, city), try this address of
Kodak's behemoth website:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/locators/piw/piwSites.shtml.
There are vendors who have traditionally sold slides to for
educational purposes who are moving towards digital images. This can
save you some steps too. For image providers see
http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/%7Ebeetham/vendor.htm.

The most popular scanner model amongst visual resources curators
seems to be the Nikon Super Coolscan, we have a two-year old Nikon
LS-2000 that is working well. There is a batch adapter (c. $400), but
there have been several threads on the Visual Resources Association
Listserv (see http://www.vraweb.org/ ) implying that this is a touchy
piece of equipment that jams too easily, especially if the slides are
mounted differently (paper, plastic, or glass mixed together in a
batch). Depending on the speed of the computers, it probably takes at
least 5-10 minutes per slide maybe more considering clean-up time and
you will only be getting one resolution. It takes almost the same
amount of money to produce a small bad scan as a large good one! Do
it once and do it right is rapidly becoming the VRA's battle cry!
Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Maureen

Maureen Burns