LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:53:34 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
"David M. Weible" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To improve security with our computers in the Language Lab, we are
> trying to use the Multiple Users control panel to control student
> access. This is working out very well with some older Macs (the oddly
> shaped all-in-one AV model, the one that looks vaguely tooth-like).
> The iMacs, however, display a very annoying tendency to crash with
> Multiple Users in effect. In fact, you can almost count on them doing
> so, if you log out of a student user account and attempt to log into
> the account manager account. Nine times out of ten, this results in
> the computer freezing up so that you are forced to restart (if you're
> lucky) or you may even have to unplug the unit before being able to
> power up again.
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, did you manage to
> find a fix for it?

I assume you're using the client-based Multiple Users and not a
Macintosh Manager server. Are you using the latest version of the MM
client (1.4.1)? If not, download it and get the Read Me info from

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?val=kbdload+multiple+users&type=and

What OS version are you using?

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957  fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/