LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:44:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:54:50 -0600
>From: Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Subject: #6224 Video/VCR into iMac?
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
For viewing TV, VCR and LaserDisc input on an iMAC we use the myTV box
by Eskape Labs.  (www.eskapelabs.com)
This is an external box that accepts cable F-type, composite RCA,
S-video input for NTSC, PAL or SECAM.  It outputs the video to USB and
the audio through a stero mini connection.  This was the only USB TV
tuner we found at the time we upgraded to iMACs and we have had some
problems.  About half of our 33 boxes have been returned to the
manufacturer to fix a high pitched oscillation.  The design was brand
new in early 2000 and we understand that there have been some
improvements in the most recent models: no hum, audio in the USB line.
The tuner software is okay, but is not as intuitive or rubust as the
APPLE TV/Video viewer.

The MyTV box will digitize input, but for better quality analog to
digital from TV/VCR/LD we use the SONY media converter that accepts
RCA/S-video input and sends the digital signal to the iMAC through a
firewire connection.  This works very well with iMovie.  Many digital
camcorders now have input jacks so you can convert analog to digital
through them as well.
--
Harold H. Hendricks