LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:44:57 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "L. E." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "L. E." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6226 Multilingual text/audio chat w/ accent support
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Assuming you also have internet access, aren't the Yahoo Messenger or MSN
messenger (or the chatrooms from the same sources) adequate?
(You can also make your own chatrooms or have conference call in the
instant messengers)
I have chatted very happily in correctly-accented Spanish and French on
there, but never tried anything non-roman.  You could experiment ... I
think I remember that in the place where you choose your font (etc.), the
messengers have the same kinds of "encoding" and/or "keyboard" choices as
browsers have.

Hope this helps(?)
-- L. Ermentrout
Winthrop University