LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:15:52 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:02:43 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6221.1 Digitized French in  Action and DESTINOS (!)
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Duncan,

I have found a specific address more helpful than a contact name.  Primarily
because personnel at publishing houses may leave.  A letter addressed to
Mr/Ms X  may be forwarded to him/her instead of being handled by the new
person. I ran into this with two permissions before switching over to the
no-name mailing.

The best case is when a publishing house uses office codes to route mail.
Addressing mail to a specific code gets it to the right desk regardless of
the person in the chair.

Another issue to consider when asking for video permissions, is whether the
textbook publisher can really grant the permission.  In some cases an
independent producer may have the copyright.  In all video requests I ask
if I should permission from the original producer.

If you are changing the video in any way (i.e., adding subtitles, editing it
into specific segments), this should be addressed in the permissions letter.

Mary

Mary Fetherston
Interim Supervisor, Language Learning Resource Center
Part of Instructional Technology and Media Services
University of Rhode Island
401-874-4719