LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:15:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Cesar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is anyone by any chance sending VCR video and audio output into an iMac and
> if so, how?  There seems to be no space for a tuner card (or audio-video
> card, if you prefer) inside the iMac.  Is anyone using an RCA to USB
> converter to manage this?  If so, how satisfied are you with the
> picture/sound quality?  Or is anyone doing something different?

There are at least four analog audio/video-to-DV FireWire (IEEE 1394)
converters on the market. I use the Sony Media Converter ($300). It will
also send DV back out to composite or S-video. With this you can plug
your analog camcorder or VCR up using RCA cables and, with a 4- to 6-pin
FireWire cable, plug into a FireWire enabled iMac. This has been the
easiest and highest quality analog video-to-digital solution I have ever
experienced. Used in conjunction with iMovie 2, which will detect all
these converters and import DV in real time, there has never been a more
accessible and elegant way to edit video on the computer. iMovie DV
import will also control FW DV cameras for importing or exporting  DV.
The current Macworld has an article on DV converters (though I can't
seem to find it online). All new iMac models have FireWire ports.

Have fun.

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957  fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/