LLTI Archives

July 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:07:59 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David M. Weible" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:51:41 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "David M. Weible" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: OS 9.1's Multiple Users and the iMac

To improve security with our computers in the Language Lab, we are
trying to use the Multiple Users control panel to control student
access. This is working out very well with some older Macs (the oddly
shaped all-in-one AV model, the one that looks vaguely tooth-like).
The iMacs, however, display a very annoying tendency to crash with
Multiple Users in effect. In fact, you can almost count on them doing
so, if you log out of a student user account and attempt to log into
the account manager account. Nine times out of ten, this results in
the computer freezing up so that you are forced to restart (if you're
lucky) or you may even have to unplug the unit before being able to
power up again.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, did you manage to
find a fix for it?

Thanks,

David Weible
--