LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:56:56 EDT
Dear Colleagues,

Istvan and I are writing to let you know that the Summer edition of the
CALICO Review has just been published
(http://astro.temple.edu/~jburston/CALICO/index.htm). We are particularly
proud to bring you this volume, the most extensive ever: 15 reviews in all!
Whether you are shopping for software for the Fall or just keeping abreast
of what's available, you'll want to have a close look at these evaluations.
There are three reviews of Spanish language programs (Encuentros, Advanced
Spanish-DVD, Tesoros) two each for Italian (La neve nel bicchiere, Advanced
Italian-DVD) and ESL (WinFriends, The Alphabet), plus French (Advanced
French-DVD), German (German Now!), Portuguese (Beginning Brazilian
Portuguese) and Kazakh (Beginning Kazakh). In addition, there are reviews of
two authoring programs (NetQuiz/Dialogos, Interactive Language Learning) as
well as a concordancer (Concordance).  Finally, we have included the
extensive comparison of WebCT and Blackboard which appeared recently as a
Software Report in the CALICO Journal.

As always, we're sure you will find these CALICO reviews the most
comprehensive and up-to-date available. We all owe special thanks to the
CALICO reviewers who give so generously of their time and effort to keep us
so well informed. If you would like to join this distinguished team, please
do complete the Reviewers' Register which can be found at the bottom of the
page at the URL indicated above.  Best wishes to all,

----------
Jack Burston, Ph.D.
CALICO Software Review Editor
College of Liberal Arts