LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:31:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:09:56 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: IALLT Benefits--Then and Now

IALLT Benefits--Then and Now

First, I would like to extend greetings, as not only a long-time user of LLTI, but also as incoming President of IALLT--the International Association for  Language Learning Technology. I look forward to serving you and the organization that has helped me so much over the years.

As Read Gilgen, IALLT Past President, recently wrote in his "Afterglow*IALL 2001" posting to this list, our May conference at Rice University was a tremendous success.  This event emphasized once again how beneficial IALLT can be to those planning and implementing language learning technology. We are fortunate to have such individuals as Claire Bartlett, who hosted this fine conference, and many others who do the real heavy lifting to keep the organization vibrant. IALLTers are known as "movers and doers."

What does IALLT mean to you? I'll be frank.--and this is important! This note is meant to stimulate you to consider joining if you are not a member, and renewing your membership immediately if yours has lapsed. Here's why:

*IALLT is the best vehicle for keeping you connected with others who share your interests and problems. Our publications, professional Journal, workshops and conferences are invaluable for keeping you informed of the issues and events related to your work in a measured, scholarly manner.

*Aside from discounts you receive on print publications, such as the brand-new  Language Center Design Kit, you receive both the Journal and the IALLT Membership Directory.  The Directory enables you to find your colleagues no matter where they are. One is going to press very soon. If  you want to be included in it, you must be a paid member by July 1st!

*The IALLT.org website is undergoing a custom overhaul, and the new version will limit access to some invaluable services to members only. This will include, for example, free online access to the Language Center Design Kit highlighted above, other key IALL publications, and easy access to other members via the electronic membership database.

*There will soon be a change in the services you receive from this LLTI listserv. For over 10 years, the LLTI has offered phenomenal and equal services to all users, IALLT members and non-members alike. Beginning in the near future, the LLTI Archives, including the "Search" function which allows for searches of old discussions on any topic you choose, will become accessible to members only. To be clear--non members will continue to be able to post and read messages. However, as many of you know, searching the archives is invaluable for research purposes. There is hardly a topic related to language technology and the management of language media centers that has not been discussed on the LLTI.

IALLT's objective is to continue to be a leader in the field of language learning technology, and continue its focus on the delivery of that technology through media centers. (We've come a long way since the days of the old "language lab!") By expanding and upgrading services to members, the organization will be strengthened. This means better services to faculty, teachers, and administrators who share our interests.