LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:08:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:04:55 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #6184 blackboard class

------------------
Hi, Tommy,

I have a Blackboard site for each of my courses, on-campus or not. I find
that you cannot be explicit enough about directions to the students.
Blackboard is easy to use, but you'll always have students who will not
understand something and my observation in a lab environment is that when
they do not understand how to work something, they just desist. So, I'll
put linear, step-by-step directions in the Announcement section and direct
students to exactly where I want them to go. (Course info, Course doc,
etc.) I have even put together an
orientation unit that takes them through each section and requires them to
report that they understand each one. At that point, I hope to hear about
any difficulties by e-mail.

On the discussion forum, a good way to insure participation is to appoint
"moderators of the week". The student might post a question or statement
and just interject to keep the discussion going between the others. Since
all students know that they will play the moderator role at some point in
the course, they will be more apt to "cooperate" when it's not their turn.
It also puts learners in charge, as opposed to the instructor.

I have also used forums as a pre-writing space, where students can
brainstorm on a composition topic before writing a formal paper. They can
inspire each other, by having their ideas in a public space. For this kind
of an exercise, I allow them to post anonymously, edit and remove posts.
All of that is easy in Blackboard.

Laura Franklin
Northern Virginia Community College
Alexandria, Virginia