LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:16:39 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:32:03 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6171 firewire necessary for DV camera?

------------------
If you want to bring digital video information directly into the
computer for editing, FireWire (officially, IEEE-1394) is the only
affordable option.  Adding a FireWire card to your computer costs
around $100 (MacWarehouse lists one at $79.95).

If you want to bring analog video information into the computer, then
you need a card in your computer which will accept analog video, and
convert it to digital.  Your digital camcorder will have analog video
output.  Your computer will probably _not_ have analog video inputs,
unless it is a mid-nineties model Mac or you previously purchased and
installed a video digitizing card in your computer.   A low-end video
digitizing card will cost at least $100 (the cheapest that I see in
MacWarehouse is $159.95).

As you can imagine, the quality lost in converting digital video to
analog in the camcorder, and then converting it back to digital in
the computer is significant.  Since the cost of adding FireWire is so
low, and the quality and ease of use is so much higher than analog, I
would go with FireWire every time.

Derek

> Dear LLTIers,
>      We are considering buying a digital video camera.  A number of
> the web pages I have read mention using Firewire connections between
> the camera and the computer.  That makes sense.  However, we don't
> have any Firewire-equipped computers.
>      Question:  Is a firewire connection necessary?  It is _the_ way
> to transfer a couple minutes of video from camera to computer?
> Assuming other cables choices are available, are they just to slow
> anyway?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]