LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:53:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:37:23 -0400
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6171 firewire necessary for DV camera?
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Firewire is not (just) a cable, it is a high speed data bus.

Most DV cameras will also have analog RCA connectors for video and sound,
but by using those, you're forcing the camera to do a digital to analog
conversion and then you'll have to capture the video and digitize it again
in the computer...

If you're going to do a digital to analog conversion at the camera, and
then an analog to digital conversion in the computer, why buy a digital
camera in the first place? The whole point of buying a digital camera is
to facilitate moving the digital video _directly_ into the computer
without a double conversion and resulting loss of quality. Furthermore,
using Firewire, you can dump vast quantities of video at MUCH higher speed
than an analog capture with NO loss of quality.

--
/david herren, shoreham, vt

The effort of producing good quality data outweighs the effort of making
the tools to access it.
-Tim Berners-Lee, May 17, 1991 (The "birthday" of the web)