LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:59:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

------------------

>OK, assuming I get the permission of the publisher, how  can I digitize
audio >cassettes?  Is  there a way to go from cassette to CD?  We're
getting a Tandy lab >this Fall but will have limited server space at first.

Eileen:

We have a similar project going on here.  We have a student who is doing
the work, as follows:

     Cassette player -->  male/male stereo audio cable --> Windows sound
recorder (free with Windows) --> MP3 file (Sound Recorder can SaveAs MP3.

Once we have all the MP3 files, we will put them on a CD (or possibly on
our network), and students can open them using any MP3 player.  Even if on
a CD, however, we are storing them as MP3 rather than audio files.  The
space savings is huge, and the sound quality is more than adequate.

If you have a large number of tapes to convert, you'd do well to purchase
some more official sound-editing software.  SoundForge makes the most
common, low/mid range product.

--Tim Corica, The Peddie School, NJ