LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:30:38 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from jeanette clement <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:08:28 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: jeanette clement <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6162 Online Powerpoint Presentation on Wireless Labs

------------------
Thank you very much for sharing your presentation.  I was unable to attend
the conference - with regrets!

My institution's small ESL ProgramAt is considering installing a 10-15 unit
wireless lab system which could be used in 3 existing classrooms.  We have
the typical space limitations:  not nearly enough wall to install new labs.
 We're hoping a wireless system will meet our needs.  We are investigating
possibilities at present.  I have a couple of questions; I hope others can
give some suggestions and advice.

1) Is it wiser to purchase the laptops (our institution supports Dell, so
we will be using Dells.) or to lease?  Have you found benefits from either
option?

2) Is there software available which would allow the teacher's computer to
"control" or monitor all the others?  If so, do you have any suggestions
for quality software packages?

3) How "portable" is a 10 - 15 unit cart?  Jian Wu indicates in the
presentation that the 25 unit cart requires two very strong adults to move
it around.  Can you give an idea of the weight and size of the loaded cart?

4) Has anyone had experience with a permanent antenna being stolen?  Any
suggestions on how to prevent this?  Can these be installed as to be
invisible?

5) Can anyone comment on any physical problems students might experience
from using the laptops?  (I guess I'm asking about the screens and lighting
problems.)

6) Any creative ideas on securing funding for a wireless lab setup?
(Probably our biggest concern!)

I will really appreciate any helpful advice from those of you who have
experience in using wireless labs.  We'd like to get it right the first time!!

In advance, thanks very much!

Jeanette Clement
Duquesne University ESL Program
Curriculum/Lab Coordinator