LLTI Archives

June 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:30:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:09:54 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mac server (TBob)

------------------
We are currently running a server consisting of MkLinux on a 7600/120
PowerMac (purchased 1996).  We have had some record runs for crashless days
(nearly 300), but we run mostly simple web applications, with serverside
includes.  Our current server was put together by a real genious, who has
been a mainstay in MkLinux.org, and he has guided me from where he works in
the Silicon Valley.  Because we need to do more things with what we have,
and because our machine will not last forever, it is obvious that a new
server is forthcoming

Now we are told we can have very limited funding for a new server
($2500-$2600). Is it possible to get some kind of a Mac server with this
little money, preferably something where I (an ex-caoch and near
technophobe) will not have to write shell-level string corrections?

TBob

Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library:
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D.
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
University of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.utm.edu/french/globe.html